2016/07/10

[INTERVIEW] This Summer’s B.A.P is “FEEL SO GOOD”

Post by Alie


6-membered Korean group B.A.P who are equipped with the musicality to produce their own music and as well as the looks, will be releasing their new single “FEEL SO GOOD” on 7/13. They will also be holding 2 concerts on 7/12, 13 in the Tokyo International Forum Hall as the Tokyo leg of their world tour. We caught up with them when they visited Japan recently and we’ve got the goss on episodes from their new song’s production, concerts and more. I feel like B.A.P are going to vitalise this summer!

  • Concerts in 16 countries around the world. “I have confidence!”
For your world tour that began in February in Seoul, it was a large-scale one that included a total of 16 countries like America, Mexico, Russia, Poland amongst the Europe, and Asia and Oceania as well wasn’t it?

DH: Yes. We’ve had tours before, but we truly went to many countries this time round. Previously, we were slightly nervous in front of foreigners, but through meeting many fans worldwide, I feel like I have confidence now.

You always show off your fluent Japanese at your Japanese concerts, but it seems like you worked hard to speak the languages of each country you visited in Europe.

JU: We would refer to the dictionary and listen to the pronunciation over and over, listening and copying it. We challenged emceeing in Russian at the Moscow concert, but it was very difficult (laughs).
DH: Zelo was originally good at English, but he improved even more and was praised the most.
YJ: Even if we practiced our best, we were only able to speak smatters of it on stage since it was a foreign language, but even though we spoke awkwardly after asking them to “please listen carefully”, the fans were happy that we were trying to speak it and that really motivated me.

I watched some of the footage from overseas concerts, but American and European fans are really passionate with their cheering aren’t they. I’ve heard that underwear gets thrown on stage, is that true?

ZL: I heard about that too so I prepared myself and thought “I need to be careful to not slip if it flies on stage”, but it didn’t happen (laughs). It might’ve happened if it was in South America.

The fans seem to be curious about your hotel room arrangements overseas. How are you grouped up now?

YJ: I’m with Zelo, Daehyun is with Jongup, and Yongguk is with Himchan.
ZL: We like to keep things clean so we paired up (laughs).
YJ: Originally I shared a room with Daehyun but the arrangements changed for this tour. When we received the room keys for the hotel, it was like “let’s try sharing a room” and it happened, there wasn’t any particular reason behind it.
JU: When we’d occasionally gather to talk, we would go to the manager or Yongguk and Himchan hyungs’ room.

What were some memories or interesting happenings during the tour?

HC: I love to search up delicious foods and go to eat them, but I also went looking for Korean cuisine here and there during the tour. I don’t know if it’s because of that, but although I thought to lose weight during the tour, not much changed…… (laughs). I’ll work hard on my diet from now on!
YG: I love drinking, and I was able to enjoy various wines at the European stops. Though honestly, I can’t tell which one was good or what it really tasted like (laughs). Also, I worked on composing during the tour.
ZL: Yongguk hyung is collecting various wines. And as for me, I brought my skateboard on tour with me since I love skateboarding, but there wasn’t much time so I didn’t get to skate much. In the end, I returned to Korea and practised (laughs). Also, I have a dog (Pomeranian) called Mochi at my parent’s house, and when I returned to Korea and dropped by, I took many photos of Mochi and uploaded some bit by bit during the tour. Mochi is really cute!
YJ: I’m interested in photography, so I took many photos at the tour stops. All the countries were beautiful and memorable, but one that stood out in particular was Finland. I had some free time and I went around here and there, but the streets themselves were really beautiful and the weather was gorgeous and peaceful…… It felt like a scene out of a movie.
DH: When we were in Italy for our concert, I met an acquainted Korean vocalist there. It was a very meaningful time where I received a lot of advice from him/her as a person of the same trade, and made newfound discoveries.
JU: There weren’t many happenings so to speak, but at one of the countries, I was so pumped during the performance that I went off the stage, but then there weren’t any stairs to go back up (laughs).
DH: Yes yes! I have the memory of being laughed at by the fans whilst trying my best to get back on stage…… (laughs)
  • "FEEL SO GOOD” where you can enjoy their boisterous adlibs
“FEEL SO GOOD” which will be released on 7/13 in Japan as your 5th single was included in the mini album you released in Korea back in February. If you say B.A.P’s music, then stately and wild compositions come to mind, but this piece has a light pop [music] taste. Bang Yongguk who took part in producing expressed “I’m nervous” when the song was released in Korea, but how do you feel about releasing the Japanese version?

YG: It was a song where we happily promoted with in Korea, so I wish we can do the same in Japan with that happy feeling.

The coupling songs “GOOD TIME” and “FREAKY SOUND” are original Japanese compositions. How did you go about choosing those pieces?

YJ: Firstly, “FEEL SO GOOD” is a very bright and fun song, and we chose “GOOD TIME” as it was a fun song that makes you excited, which matched the single’s concept. “FREAKY SOUND” too, is a casual, easy-to-listen song.

I think “GOOD TIME”, which has the message “let’s trust in the future”, is a song that conveys B.A.P’s thoughts to the fans. What do you think?

YJ: That’s right. “I want to believe it’s destiny” is our thoughts.

I heard that the Japanese PV for “FEEL SO GOOD” was filmed anew in Korea.

DH: Yes. We were filming from the morning on an outdoor tennis court on a very hot day with great weather, so we got really tanned. Even without that, my skin was already dark enough (laughs).
HC: There’s a scene where we’re lying on the courts, but it was so hot it was bad.
YG: There was a plot with the tennis court scenes so we didn’t do many adlibs, but the scenes in the barbershop were almost all our own adlibs and we had a lot of fun filming.

As part of the Japanese leg of your world tour, you’ll be having concerts in Tokyo on 712, 13. ( ※ Nagoya and Osaka concerts have already finished during June) What performances are there to look out for particular to the Japanese concerts this time?

YJ: The setlist was put together for the world tour, so there aren’t any performances exclusive to the Japanese concerts, but we’ll perform the songs released in Japan in Japanese.

Apart from performances from the group, the solo stages should also be a highlight.

DH: Yes. My solo is a song called “SHADY LADY”, and is a stage filled with sweet love. Jongup’s is a self-composed piece called “Now” with matching choreography and vocals, and is a performance that shines with a charm that is unique to Jongup. Himchan hyung shows off a dance number “S.N.S” along with Yongguk hyung, and it’s so cool I think the fans will be surprised. Youngjae sang “Don’t Worry” by his favourite Lee Juck seonbae, but he performed Trey Songz’s “Slow Motion” for the world tour.

Please send a message to the fans looking forward to your Tokyo performances on 7/12, 13.

HC: We completed the Nagoya and Osaka performances on a great note!
ALL: Wahh~!! *claps*
DH: Himchan hyung showed off his impressive abs at Nagoya and Osaka and we received many cheers from the fans didn’t we. ( ※ this interview was conducted prior to the Nagoya and Osaka concerts)
ALL: Ahaha!! *laughs crazily*
HC: And Daehyun with his ass…… I’m joking (laughs). The Tokyo concerts are the final ones in Japan and we’ll give it our very best, have a fun stage and show the fans the best performance.

The Japanese concerts, new song release, release events in Tokyo and Osaka and Japanese promotion activities, you’ll be very busy but if you were to fill in this catchphrase, “This summer’s B.A.P is XXX”, what would it be?

YJ: This summer’s B.A.P is “FEEL SO GOOD”!
ALL: Oh~ That’s exactly it!

©Shuukan Josei PRIME | Translation: cassie_babyz